I know this is twice in one week, but I had to pass on a deal for those of you currently visiting colleges (seniors on the recheck and juniors on initial explorations). Amtrak and Campus Visit have partnered together to offer reduced-price train fares. It works this way: the student buys a full-price adult fare ticket and their parent or guardian travels for half-price through December 16, 2009. It's like BOGO for train tickets instead of shoes. To obtain this discount, you need to know the following:
- This offer is only good for high school juniors or seniors traveling with a parent or guardian.
- Tickets must be booked at least 3 days in advance, no exceptions.
- Up to 2 additional children (ages 2-15) per parent, travel for half-off a full-fare ticket.
- Some black out dates apply (Sept. 4 & 7, Nov. 24-25 & 28-30).
- This discount is NOT valid on the Acela trains.
That's cool, but how do I get such a great deal?
- Go to www.campusvisit.com/amtrak and fill out a short form about your trip.
- Press the submit button to get your special Amtrak promotion code-- WRITE IT DOWN (you'll need it).
- If you haven't already done so, register for the Amtrak Guest Rewards program (you'll earn 1,000 bonus points).
- Book your ticket BY PHONE: 800-USA-RAIL or 800-872-7245, using your special promotion code (see, I told you you'd need it again).
- Pick up your tickets FROM AN AGENT (you can't use the kiosk-- sorry!) and enjoy your trip.
Nothing truly substitutes for a visit when you're trying to decide where you want to spend the next four years of your life. A deal like this only makes the experience sweeter!