At year’s end, it’s traditional to give thanks for all the many blessings received during the previous twelve months and to look forward to the coming year with a renewed sense of optimism. The following are twenty reasons college-bound students should be giving thanks this year:
20. Colleges reducing tuition
19. FAFSA’s new "IRS retrieval tool"
18. Permission to guess on Advanced Placement exams
17. Tuition exchange programs
16. Canadian Colleges
15. Campus tour guides who master the art of walking backwards
14. Almost 850 “test optional” colleges and universities
13. Colleges with straightforward "Score Choice" policies
12. College Navigator
11. The trend toward non-binding early action policies
10. The freedom to substitute ACT scores for SAT’s
9. Free on-campus visitor parking
8. The demise of SAT antonym questions—this happened in 1994 but you should continue to be thankful
7. Print preview
6. Net Price Calculators that are truthful and easy to use
5. Colleges with no loans
4. Applications with NO essay supplements
3. Colleges requiring fewer SAT Subject Tests
2. Teachers and guidance counselors still willing to write recommendations
And most important of all:
1. Family and friends who support and love you!
Best wishes for a healthy and Happy New Year!